Monday, February 13, 2006

triumphant return from movie pillage

Last week I saw four really good movies!

Good Night, and Good Luck. Me and my dad went to see this during the super bowl, there were about a dozen people in the audience. I liked it okay, but I felt a little stupid when everyone except me would laugh at a joke. *face palm* It was a REALLY good thing I looked up Edward Murrow, because otherwise I don't think I would have gotten a lot of it. It had a good soundtrack, and very good cinematography.

The Lords of Dogtown. A skateboarding drama. Ah yes, my favorite kind of movie. (hahahaha no.) I didn't really think I would like it, but I actually did! If you rent this movie on DVD, you have to watch the special features. The director said "gnarly" in everyday conversation, and had the complete look of a "California surfer chick". Heath Ledger's performance was reminiscent of Johnny Depp in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. (Another good movie I didn't think I'd like but did.) Don't worry Heath, nobody thinks you're a pretty boy anymore!

Adaptation. It starts out with a man who is having trouble adapting a book in to a screenplay. He wants the movie to be like "real life", no extra guns, drugs or excitement. In the end of the movie he's in a swamp with his twin brother hiding from a high writer, an alligator, and an eccentric orchid dealer. This movie was weird beyond belief, but still really enjoyable.

Capote. I finally saw it! I really liked it. Philip Seymour Hoffman was really, really good. He almost upstaged the whole movie. I think that Clifton Collins Jr. should have gotten a nomination for best supporting actor, for playing Perry Smith. I almost had In Cold Blood finished when I saw Capote, but I still have 40 more pages to go! I think reading the book makes you a little more sympathetic to Perry, as it has more of his background in it. Now I have to read the book the movie was based on!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At February 21, 2006 , Blogger Mrs. Bloom-McGregor-Felton-Murphy said...

PHILLIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you like my use of HTML tags? I learned how to use them when I was posting my fan ficiton!! *is proud of self*

Maddie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home